Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Watercolor Backgrounds using Markers

As I mentioned earlier in the week, I attended a class where I learned how to create wonderful backgrounds using markers on watercolor paper.
This class was taught by Shirley Deatcher from Paper Creations at our local scrapbooking store Crop Circles, owned by Helen and Ted Howard here in Peterborough, Ontario.
Check these blog posts to see the wonderful creations made:
Crop Circles blog: here
Shirley's blog: here

Here are some of the backgrounds I created:
When I got home I got out my markers and watercolor paper and went to town.  Boy, its messy (we all had blue/purple fingers) but the effect is stunningly simple.
1.  Take at least 3 colors of markers
2.  Scribble them randomly on watercolor paper (140 lb is best)
3.  Spritz the paper with water and watch the colors blend. Make sure your work surface is protected and that you have paper towel handy.
4.  Toss on a bit of coarse salt (Kosher or Sea salt) - they leave the little clear spots that you see in the above pictures)
5.  Let dry.

Here's the one I did at home.  I was a bit disappointed with it at first because I thought it looked a bit muddy.  But I waited until it was dry to determine if it was useable, which of course it was.
I immediately thought of the retired stamp "Sail Away" and made a Father's Day card

Note:  Watercolor paper has 2 sides to it - a smooth side and a roughter side.  If you are planning on stamping, create your background on the smooth side.  And your images come out sharper is they are embossed.

13 comments:

ArtisticInkspirations said...

Beautiful cards Maria!!!

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Hi Maria. Oh my Gosh ! Your creations are beautiful ! I love how you added the die cut butterflies and your ribbon on the 2nd card (and that was your practice piece?..wow) Your 5x7 & Butterfly card from the class are also gorgeous and the sailboat card is awesome ! Love the blue & brown.... thanks for sharing ! Have a great week, Shirley ps.. great tutorial :)

Cynthia Ferenz said...

Very nice. Need to try this don't use my watercolor paper enough.

Happy Stamper said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing the easy steps and your art. I am sure that I am going to have fun trying it out.

Ryn Tanaka said...

Hello Maria - I saw your post among the blogs that Shirley follows. Just want to say that you did a great job with my Candra stamp :) Beautiful cards!

craftystamper said...

Thank you for your words of encouragement

craftystamper said...

Thanks so much Shirley. Your comments mean a lot to me.

craftystamper said...

Let me know how your projects turn out.

craftystamper said...

I know you will have fun. Don't be afraid to get messy!

craftystamper said...

Hi Ryn - thanks so much for commenting on my work. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Jane said...

Putting your work in the frame really makes it look great. Where did you get that neat frame? I love the sailboat. It looks neat with the butterflies.

Sandi said...

Beautiful cards Maria!!! Love the colors you used, and the "Sail Away" stamp set is perfect for this technique. Many thanks for telling us how to do this technique.

Jonia said...

Very nice and love the one you did at home. I may have to try this.