Monday, September 29, 2014

Star Box

I've been struggling for a number of weeks to make a star box that opens i.e. has a bottom and a lid.  For some reason, my efforts produced a pretty pathetic star box.
I viewed the video that SU made - but that did not show the option of a box that opened.  A number of other demonstrators have made boxes that opened and indicated how they did it, but I still had difficulties.
Finally I got it! (I'm a slow learner I guess)





I made the box using the largest of the star framelits.  Because I used cardstock (Real Red), I cut 2 stars for the top and 2 stars for the bottom and glued them together - just to give the box a little strength.

Bottom: I cut 2 pieces of Baked Brown sugar 2 by 11".  This was scored at 1", and then every 1 11/16" from the 1" mark along the vertical side; also 1 3/8" along the long side. 

Check out the SU video on the basics of making a box:






Lid: I cut 2 pieces of Baked Brown surgar 2 by 11.  This was scored at 1" and then every 1 3/4" from the 1" mark along the vertical side; also 1 3/8" on the long side.

I also got some really good information from Judy May's blog here although my measurements are slightly different from hers.

Stamps:Bright and Beautiful
Inks: Versa Mark, Real Red, Baked Brown Sugar (on edges of flower)
Papers: Real Red, Baked Brown Sugar, silver glimmer paper
Accessories: Star framelits, Blossom petal punch (to make rose), White satin ribbon, small star punch, hot glue gun, red ribbon (around edges of box), white embossing powder

After I finished the bottom and lid of the box, I cut 2 extra real red stars, and adhered them to the inside of the bottom and the lid (to neaten up the inside).


3 comments:

Deborah Smart said...

Your box turned out beautifully, Maria! Thanks so much for sharing how you made it. :)

Bandon, Oregon said...

Your Star Box is Wonderful!! Thank You so much for sharing...

Faith

geishagonzalez said...

hi i will like to know how do you call that type of adhesive you used to glue the star the red one