Sunday, December 14, 2014

Window box made with Envelope Punch board & framelits - a tutorial

Last month I made lots (more like a ton) of magnets of different sizes, and made with different materials.  See the following blog posts:
1. Magnets made with DSP
2. Magnets made with stamped images
3. Magnets made with Retired SU fabric
4. Magnets made with glitter

So I had all these magnets and was in a quandry as to how to package them.
Then I came up with an idea!  Use the envelope punch board, made a small box, and using framelits make a see through window in the top of the box.

Here is what I came up with.  A step-by-step tutorial will follow.

"

These are some of the boxes I have made so far.  The window allows one to see the magnets without having them fall all over the place.  Believe me, little plastic bags did not work because of the magnet's attraction to one another.

Here's how to make the window boxes:

Supplies needed:
  • Envelope punch board
  • Cardstock 6 by 6" (the finished box size is 2 by 3 1/2")
  • DSP 3 1/2 by 2 "
  • Window sheet 3 1/8 by 2 1/8"
  • Framelit of choosing
  • Velcro
  • Sticky strip 
  • Paper snips
1.  Cut card stock to 6 by 6" .  Here I`m using Crumb Cake


 
 
 2.  Insert it into the envelope punch board at the 2`` mark, punch and score, then move to the 3`mark and punch and score.

 3.  This is what it looks like after all the punching and scoring is done.



4. Attach the  DSP to the front of the cut out.




 5.  Using the framelit of choice (or whatever fits into the space) position it over the DSP and run it through the Big Shot forming a window.


6. Window is formed.
7.  Attach the window sheet on the wrong side of the box.  I used snail adhesive, but tombo glue can be used as well.


8.  Now its time to start making the box.  You`ll need your paper snips for this
Determine which will be the bottom, and which will be the top of the box.  At the bottom, only snip the tabs.  At the top remove the tabs completely.
Now fold your box at all the score marks.

9. Apply adhesive to the right side of the tabs at the bottom and adhere them to the sides as shown below.

10.  Apply sticky strip to the bottom flap and form the box.  Be sure the box is square before adhering firmly.

11.  This shows the back of the box with tabs and flap adhered together.  At this point I add some velcro to the wrong side of the top flap.  Note:  both pieces of velcro are attached at this point.
12. Close the box and the velcro will stick to the bottom of the box keeping it closed.
Decorate the box as desired.


Supplies used:

Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog



3 comments:

Patricia Gessner said...

Thank you for sharing! I love the magnets are they on your site also?

Véro said...

Hello Maria!I love your little boxes but I've a problem:I can't have the same thing you have at the 2nd point.I must punch and score at 3" and 2" for each side of the cardstock?I try but it's wrong.I don't understand why...Thank you for your help.
Véronique

craftystamper said...

Vero: Thanks for viewing my tutorial. I think your problem might be using the envelope punch board. Punching and scoring at 2 and 3 are done only on the first side. On the remaining sides, punch and score at the score lines (not at 2 and 3)only. Try that and see if it works.