Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Basketful of Strawberries - a Tutorial

One of my clients telephoned me a couple of days ago wanting to know how to make the 3D strawberries featured on Pg. 99 of the current catalogue.
I didn't know --- so of course  I had to figured it out so that I could show my client.
I put together this tutorial for you, after all, it is strawberry season, and strawberry teas and socials are sprouting out all over the place.
As a bonus, I now have a decorative basket to put on my craft table next week.


Supplies:
  • Flower Folds Bigz XL die
  • 5 Petal Flower punch
  • Polka dot embossing folder
  • 3/8" ruffled  Lucky Limeade taffeta ribbon
  • Bone folder
  • Tombo glue
  • Glue dots
  • Scissors
  • Designer paper of choice
  • Cardstock - calypso coral, or poppy parade for the strawberry, and Lucky Limeade for the top
Forming the Strawberry:

Step 1:
For each strawberry, punch out 1 (one) 5 petal flower punchie in Lucky Limeade; one flower in either Calypso coral, Poppy Parade, or designer paper in whatever size you wish using the Fun Folds die.  I used the smallest for a few strawberries, and then the next size up.

Emboss the flower using the polka dot embossing folder.

Step 2:
Cut out 2 of the petals from the flower.  You are left with 6 petals.


Step 3:
Apply glue to one petal and overlap with the petal on the other side of the gap. You now have a 5 sided strawberry body.




Step 4:
With a bone folder, curl up the ends of the flower petals to form the top of the strawberry.

Overlap each petal slightly and place a glue dot to hold the petal in place.  Alternately you can punch out a 1" circle and glue to the top to hold the petals in place (I have done that in this sample), but  I find the glue dots easier.
Do this for each petal.

Forming the Top:
Step 5:
Curl the ends of the 5 Petal punchie using a bone folder

Apply glue to the center and half way along each petal.
Attach to top of strawberry and hold in place until glue gets tacky.

Step 6:
Tie a piece of 3/8" ruffled Lucky Limeade in a knot and attach it to the top of the strawberry.
Your strawberry is not complete.

Now wasn't this easy? Unfortunately the 5 petal flower punch is about to retire the end of this month and Stampin' Up informs me there are no more punches available for order.
Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Jane said...

These are cute as a button. Where is the whpped cream?